Energy Assistance Program
AMP’s Energy Assistance Program (EAP) offers our eligible residential low-income customers a 25% discount on their monthly energy costs.
- The low-income discount does not apply to the Utility Users Tax or any other applicable fees or taxes. It is applied only to the energy and customer charges.
- Customers who receive the low-income discount are not eligible to participate in AMP’s Alameda Green program or EASE Program.
- Customers who qualify for both the low-income discount and the medical discount should apply for the low-income discount as it provides the most comprehensive benefits. Customers may not receive both discounts.
New for EAP Members - EAP Plus
To demonstrate eligibility, you will need to show proof of income for all adults permanently residing in the household and provide supporting documentation.
Documentation may include:
- CalFresh (food stamps)
- CalWorks (cash aid)
- General Assistance
- Spousal/Child Support
- Unemployment Compensation
- Veteran’s Benefits
- Wages and/or income from self-employment
- Worker’s Compensation
You will also need to show proof of identification for all adults and children under the age of 18 who are living in the house full time.
Driver’s license must show service address or you will be required to submit a lease agreement, mortgage statement or property title.
Download the EAP Application Form
Will my income documents be returned to me?
We’re not able to return your original documents, so please submit copies of any income/sources of money/benefit documentation with your application.
Where can I get the benefit/award letter?
Most agencies/programs have web sites that you can use to verify and print your letter.
- Social Security
- Employment Development Department (EDD)
- My Benefits CalWorks/CalFresh
- Department of Veteran Affairs Department of Veteran Affairs
- Child Support
The documents must include pay period dates covering a minimum of two consecutive months within the last two months. Benefit/award letters should indicate year of coverage. Outdated documents will not be accepted.
A completed application package is usually processes within 2-4 weeks of being received. After you’ve been enrolled, the Energy Assistance Program discount will be printed as a line item on your AMP bill each month.
Customers must re-apply every two years. When it’s time to re-apply, we’ll mail you a recertification application, which will require current copies of income sources of money/benefit documentation. Seniors or those on permanent disability must re-apply every four years
If your income/sources of money or circumstances change and you no longer qualify, please notify us by mail or give us a call at (510) 748-3900.